What are Varicose Veins
Veins are thin-walled blood vessels which return blood to the heart. They contain a system of valves to keep blood flowing in the right direction.
There are two separate networks of veins in the leg which are divided into a superficial and deep system. These two systems are inter-connected at the groin and behind the knee.
Varicose veins occur when there is weakness in the wall of the vein or damage to the valves. This results in an increased pressure inside the vein causing dilatation.
Risk factors include increasing age, pregnancy, obesity and previous deep vein thrombosis.
Over 25% of women and 10% of men will be affected by varicose veins at some point in their lives. Some will seek treatment due to the unsightly appearance but varicose veins can also cause significant discomfort in many patients.
Other symptoms commonly described include burning, itching, heaviness, cramps, bleeding, inflammation or ankle swelling. If left untreated, varicose veins can sometimes result in eczema-like skin changes and even ulceration in long-standing cases. Treating the diseased superficial veins significantly improves the symptoms and the legs still function properly without them as the legs are mainly dependant on the deep veins close to the bones which will be checked by ultrasound scanning during the initial consultation.
Treatment Options for Varicose Veins
Varicose veins can broadly be divided into 2 categories based on their size:
• Truncal veins – large, prominent veins which bulge from under the skin.
• Thread veins (or ‘spider’ veins) – fine, unsightly veins with a red or purple discoloration
The varicose vein treatment options for thread veins are different from that for main varicosities.
The treatment approach for thread veins is different from that for main varicosities. Injection microsclerotherapy or Veinwave is used for thread veins whereas the management of larger varicosities more commonly requires cyanoacrylate glue, laser treatment – EVLT, radiofrequency ablation – VNUS, foam sclerotherapy or standard surgical techniques.
Your initial consultation will involve a clinical examination in addition to an ultrasound scan to identify the type of varicose veins present and guide the decision regarding the optimum treatment strategy. Some patients with thread veins will not require ultrasound scanning. Vein Solutions provides a comprehensive range of varicose vein treatment services encompassing both minimally-invasive techniques and conventional vascular surgical procedures to eradicate varicose veins.
Treatment Procedure Prices:
** Prices below are starting from prices and may differ based on optimum treatment strategy.
** Interest Free Payments Can Be Arranged.
- Laser – starting from £2000 (per leg)
- Radio Frequency – starting from £2000 (per leg)
- Cyanoacrylate Glue – starting from £2650 (per leg)
- Foam Sclerotherapy – starting from £850 (per leg)
- Pelvic Congestion Syndrome – price on application ( requires pelvic and abdominal ultrasound scan : £381 )
- Multiple Phlebectomies – starting from £500 (per leg)
Face to Face Consultation Prices:
- Consultation with Mr Dimitri – £170
- Ultrasound Scan – one leg £200
- Ultrasound Scan – two legs £300
This will be needed prior to the following procedures:
- Laser Ablation
- Radio Frequency
- Cyanoacrylate Glue
- Foam Sclerotherapy
- Pelvic Congestion Syndrome
Virtual free of charge consultation is available for the following procedures:
- Thread veins – starting price £350 per leg
- Veinwave – starting price £350
- Facial Phlebectomies – starting price £850
- Hand Veins – starting price £1200 per hand
- Breast Veins – starting price £1000
- Vaginal Veins – starting price £1000
Once you have been quoted a treatment price, this is the final price which includes the treatment and follow up consultations.